The Jamal Newberry Scholarship
The Greek All-Star™ Awards™ was created, in part, to help draw young people to college. And, in wanting to help ensure such, even in a small way, we decided to award this college scholarship to at least one deserving college Student each main event year.
The J. New Scholarship is a college scholarship of up to $1,000.00 given in the name of a fine gentleman from Detroit, MI who suffered from and passed away violently due to chain-reactions of a terrible illness: Schizophrenia. His name: Jamal Newberry; a loving father and husband and an old-head member (2 years of membership or longer) of the oldest African-American Greek-letter fraternity in the world: Alpha Phi Alpha® Fraternity, Inc. This scholarship is awarded to college Students who are currently majoring in psychology or psychiatry.
- You must be a college Student and a verifiable psychology -or- psychiatry major at the time of your J. New Scholarship application submission.
- You must possess a cumulative 2.5 or higher grade point average (G.P.A.) at the time of your application submission. Note: Higher G.P.A.s weigh more positively on your application approval and potential scholarship selection.
- Students/Applicants under eighteen (18) years of age must have both a Parent/Guardian who signs for them and an Educational Sponsor who recommends them. No exceptions. Students/Applicants who are over the age of eighteen (18) need only have an Educational Sponsor who recommends them.
- A Sponsor may sponsor more than one Student.
- For your Sponsored Student to be eligible, their scholarship application must be received by no later than 11:59 p.m. EST on September 30 of the applying year.
- IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT ALL SCHOLARSHIP ONLINE REGISTRATION FORM FIELDS BE FILLED! Leaving a field blank or falsifying any submitted registration information risks the Sponsored Student’s chances of winning any all-star scholarship for that applying year and possibly subsequent years.